Posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:03 PM by Ray Munch
The DeKalb Police Department is taking several pro-active measures to limit the risk of exposure of the COVID-19 virus to the community and departmental staff. These measures are temporary but will remain in place until further notice.
- Officers will always respond to 911 calls and crimes in progress. The responding officers might be wearing additional protective equipment like a surgical mask, gloves, or glasses to shield themselves and others. Residents should not be alarmed at seeing an officer wearing such equipment, as it is only a precautionary measure.
- Officers will be taking more “desk reports” via the telephone for crimes that are not in progress. The department values the face-to-face interactions with our community, however, at this time such activity has been deemed a risk to both members of the public and those who serve them.
- The Police Department’s lobby, located at 700 W Lincoln Hwy, will be closed. The entrance vestibule will remain open where anyone can press the intercom button to request assistance from the dispatch center.
- Drivers involved in a minor car accident without injury or requiring a tow truck are encouraged to exchange information with the other driver and contact the police a short time later. When in doubt, any driver can call for a police response.
- The Police Department will temporarily suspend parking enforcement for non-safety related violations. Fire lane violations, handicap violations, and other elevated public safety violations are still subject to enforcement.
The DeKalb Police Department remains operational and ready to serve our community. Together, we will rise to this unprecedented challenge and continue to provide exceptional service to our community.