How do I report a traffic accident?
If you were involved in a traffic accident, first ensure that no one was injured. If someone is injured, call 911. If no one was injured, you may either call the non-emergency number at 815-748-8400 to inform the telecommunicator of the accident, who will then dispatch an officer to your location. Or, you may come to the DeKalb Police Department and report the accident.

Reporting requirements for a traffic accident are that a person has been injured or dies, a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, a driver has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved, or city property is involved. You should report the accident as soon as possible.

Accidents having property damage of under $500 does not have to be reported to the police; however, your insurance company will require a report be made if you make a claim with them.

Show All Answers

1. What are my options after receiving a traffic citation?
2. I received a traffic citation for Failure to Carry Proof of Insurance but I have insurance, what can I do?
3. How do I report a traffic accident?
4. How can I get the moving radar trailer parked in front of my house?
5. What if the other party in my traffic accident did not have insurance?
6. How do I report a reckless driver?
7. How can I obtain a traffic accident report?
8. My car's license plate expires at the end of the month is there a grace period in renewing my registration?
9. I just bought a car and it does not have plates on it: is it okay to drive it home?
10. How do I know what size car seat my child should use?