City Mail-in Citations

Those who have been charged with violating a City of DeKalb ordinance do not need to appear at a hearing if the waiver of hearing is presented and the full amount required to settle each charge against them is paid to the City of DeKalb within 21 days of the issuance of the complaint. There are no exceptions to the 21-day requirement. If the full amount is not paid within 21 days of the issuance of the complaint, the complaint will be scheduled for hearing before the City of DeKalb Administrative Hearing Officer and the violator will be required to appear at the hearing on the date indicated on the Complaint.

If the violator is required to appear at hearing, in addition to a fine, they may be required to pay hearing costs.

Methods of Payment

  • Payment By Mail
    • Enclose the fine amount indicated by your charge in cashier’s check, certified check or money order payable to the City of DeKalb (no personal checks).
    • Review, complete and return the signed Waiver of Hearing (pink) form.
    • Mail to: City of DeKalb Finance Department, 164 E Lincoln Hwy, DeKalb, IL 60115 or City of DeKalb Police Department, 700 W Lincoln Hwy, DeKalb, IL 60115
    • Use sufficient postage.
    • Mail with sufficient time to be received within 21 days of the issuance of the complaint.
  • Payment in Person
    • Bring payment and the completed Waiver of Hearing (pink) form to the City of DeKalb  (164 E Lincoln Hwy, DeKalb or 700 W Lincoln Hwy, DeKalb). Only certified check, cashier’s check, money order, or credit/debit cards will be accepted. Please, no personal checks.
  • Payment Online
    • Visit the City’s payment portal. A liable (guilty) plea and waiver of hearing will be required in order for you to make payments. Only full payment of the fine will be allowed.

Contesting of Charges

You have the right to contest the charge by appearing at hearing personally or through an attorney. An attorney will be required to be present if the entity cited is an LLC or corporation. If you have questions regarding these matters, you should seek the advice of an attorney. You have the right to appear before the hearing officer to enter a plea of liable (guilty) or not liable (not guilty). If you enter a plea of not liable, you have the right to have a hearing before the hearing officer. You will also have the right to present a defense, confront witnesses, and have witnesses testify on your behalf.

Pre-Hearing Fine Amounts

Charge Fine Amounts
Entering/Remaining in a Tavern as a Minor $310
Possession/Consumption of Alcohol $210
Open Container Upon Public Way $85
Fighting Within the City $310
Fireworks $60
Littering $85
Keeping a Disorderly House $310
Barking Dog $85
Sound Apparatus $210
Possession of Cannabis <10 grams $210
Possession of Drug Paraphernalia $210
Failure to Wear Seatbelt $75
Operating Vehicle with Expired Registration $60
Interfering with a Tow $250/$500
Soliciting without a Permit $310

Parking Tickets

There are a couple of ways to take care of a parking ticket. 


The first option is to pay the fine. Payments can be made via mail, in person at the DeKalb Municipal Building or DeKalb Police Department Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., deposited in a drop box after hours at the locations above, placed in a downtown parking drop box, or online

Speak to the officer

If you feel you may have received the parking ticket in error, you may speak to the officer who wrote the ticket. The officer or supervisor are the only individuals who can void or adjust tickets. To speak to an officer, you can come to the police department or call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at  815-748-8400.

Request a Hearing

After speaking to an officer, if you still feel that the ticket was give in error you may request a hearing. To request a hearing you must fully complete the Request for Administrative Hearing Parking Tickets form. Once completed, either mail or hand deliver the form to the City’s Legal Department at 164 E Lincoln Hwy in DeKalb. Once the completed form is received by the Legal Department, a Notice of Hearing will be mailed to you informing you of your hearing date.

Traffic Citations

If the charge filed against you is a criminal traffic violation or a misdemeanor, you must appear in court on the date and time specified on the traffic citation of complaint.

Civil traffic cases can be resolved prior to the appearance date on your complaint by one of the 3 following ways:

  • Option #1: Plead guilty, Pay $120, unless the complaint is for speeding 21-30 miles per hours over the speed limit, then pay $140. Your conviction is reported to the Secretary of State.
  • Option #2: To avoid a conviction on your driving record, plead guilty and register for the Driver Safety Program. Pay $185, non-refundable (motorists charged with driving 21-30 miles over the posted limit must pay an additional $20 for a total of $205 non-refundable).
  • Option #3: Plead not guilty and request a hearing before a Judge. Your may bring witnesses and present your case before the judge. If you are found responsible, you lose the option of going to the Defensive Driving Class.

All payments for state traffic citations are handled by the DeKalb County Circuit Clerk.