The City of DeKalb’s ADA paratransit and non- emergency medical transportation (NEMT) services are a shared ride, door-to-door transportation program utilizing specialized vehicles. Both the paratransit and non-emergency medical transportation services are provided by Transdev Services Inc. (Transdev) under the supervision of the City of DeKalb (City).
The ADA paratransit service is available for individuals who are not able to use regular bus service — also called “fixed route” — because of a disability or other limitations. The paratransit services provides door-to-door transportation within the DeKalb Urbanized Area. The non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) service is available for eligible individuals who require transportation to specialist medical appointments within a 35 mile radius of DeKalb. The fixed route service is open to the general public and is ADA accessible. Many passengers find the fixed route service is often the best and most economical transportation service for persons with disabilities.
All users of the ADA and Non-ADA Paratransit Service must be certified as eligible to use the services. To be certified for either service, you must complete an application that you can request by calling 815-420-5500 or download online:
City of DeKalb ADA Paratransit Application (PDF),
para español .
Solicitud de paratránsito ADA de la ciudad de DeKalb (PDF)
Completed applications can be mailed to:
Transdev Eligibility Department
1825 Pleasant St.
DeKalb, IL 60115
or completed applications can be emailed to email@example.com
Make A Reservation
Call Transdev at (815) 420-5500
Information, Trip Requests, and Cancellations:
- Monday thru Sunday: 6:30am to 6:00pm
- After hours cancellations can be made by leaving a message if a Transdev representative is unavailable.
- Transdev will provide individuals with a 20- minute pick-up and drop-off window when a trip is scheduled. • ADA paratransit eligible passengers may schedule rides 1-7 days in advance.
- If you need a trip the next day, Transdev will only guarantee that trip if you call before 6:00pm.
- Transdev drivers cannot request or cancel trips for you; you must contact Transdev to schedule or cancel trips.
- During the trip, the paratransit vehicle may make several stops to let other passengers on or off before arriving at your destination.
Contracted Transit Service Provider
The City of DeKalb contracts with Transdev Services Inc. for paratransit and deviated flex route services in the DeKalb Urbanized Area. The Voluntary Action Center of Northern Illinois provides paratransit service for the rural area through their contract with DeKalb County.
To view a map of which paratransit service provider you should contact, please view our Urban and Rural Boundary Map for additional information.
ADA and Non-ADA paratransit services are funded by the State of Illinois, the Federal Transit Administration, and Northern Illinois University.