What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?
You may call the non-emergency number, 815/748-8400, to report any dog that barks, growls, howls, or whines in a loud manner in such a manner that it is disturbing the peace. It is common for the dog’s owner to be first warned. Should the dog continue to disturb the peace, you may sign a complaint against the dog’s owner. The dog’s owner will then be required to appear in court. If the dog’s owner is found guilty, a fine of not less than $50 and no more than $300 could be set.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code CH18, 18.07 "Barking Dogs." 

How can I report animals running loose in my neighborhood?
You should call the DeKalb County Animal Control at 815/758-6673, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. After hours, you may call the DeKalb Police Department non-emergency number, 815/748-8400.

What do I do if an animal/dog bites me?
Any dog/animal that has bitten a person should be reported to the DeKalb Police Department by calling the non-emergency number, 815/748-8400. Any dog/animal that does not have current vaccinations shall be impounded.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code CH18, 18.05 "Biting Dogs and Animals." 

When should I use 911?

Call 911 when there is a life or death emergency that requires the immediate response of emergency service such as police, fire, or an ambulance.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report for my insurance company?
You may call the Records Division at 815/748-8413 or come in person, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to the Police Department located at 700 W. Lincoln Highwayt. You may also ask your insurance agent to obtain the report for you.

Where do I obtain crime prevention information?
We have various informational brochures at the police department. You may stop in any time and ask for information on your interested topic.

How can I obtain an order of protection?
An order of protection is a written court order signed by a judge. If you have been a victim of domestic violence, you can obtain an order of protection against a family member, household member, or someone you have had a dating relationship with.  The State’s Attorney’s office can help you get an order of protection if you press criminal charges against the abuser.  If you do not want to press criminal charges or if the State’s Attorney office will not help you get an order of protection, you can obtain the order of protection in civil court. For assistance, you may contact Safe Passage at 756-5228, obtain a private attorney, or you can represent yourself.  An order of protection is free.

What can I do about annoying/harassing phone calls?
You are required to file a report with the police department. You should then call the Nuisance Bureau at 800/257-2969 Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. thru 5:00 p.m. Advise the Nuisance Bureau that you are receiving annoying/harassing phone calls and that you have made a report with the DeKalb Police Department. They will require our case number.  

Upon receiving an annoying/harassing phone call, you are to hang up, wait for a dial tone, dial *57 and follow the recorded instructions. This will trace the call and save the information in the phone company’s computer. The phone company will then only release the trap information to law enforcement. After 18 days they will fax all successful traces.
There will be a charge to your phone bill of $4 per successful trace.

Who do I call when I get a ‘bounced’ check?
If a check is returned to you due to ‘non-sufficient funds,’ you should call the DeKalb County State’s Attorney’s office at 815/895-7164.

How do I report suspected drug trafficking in my neighborhood?
We suggest you call the North Central Narcotics Task Force (NCNTF) at 815/756-2032 first. You may also call the DeKalb Police Department non-emergency number at 815/748-8400. It is helpful to obtain as much information as you can, such as vehicle description, registration information, suspect(s) description, etc.
REMEMBER, your call will remain anonymous!!

What information do you have regarding senior citizens?
Unfortunately, senior citizens are a target of fraud and abuse. Just remember, NEVER release personal information over the telephone or to a stranger who has come to your home. NEVER give out your date of birth, driver’s license number, bank account numbers, or credit card numbers to anyone!

If you think you have been a victim of a crime or have accidentally given personal information to someone, you may call the police department any time at 815/748-8400.

Other agencies who assist senior citizens are:
Elder Care Services of DeKalb County 815/758-6550
Senior Help Abuse Hotline 800/252-8955 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
800/279-0400 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. Monday thru Friday and on weekends
Hard of Hearing 800/526-0844


How can I protect myself from being a victim of identity theft?
Did you know that identity theft is the number one crime in America and it is estimated to increase over 1000%?

Identity theft is exactly what it sounds like.  Someone literally steals your identity for personal gain.  Usually what happens is that a person obtains information such as your social security number and/or driver license number to commit various forms of fraud.  The thief may apply for loans or credit cards, rent apartments, lease cars, obtain services, and much more.  The victim, unfortunately, is then left with a ruined credit history or having the complicated task of regaining financial health or trying to restore their reputation in the community. 

Here are some helpful hints on how to protect yourself from being a victim:

  • Check your credit reports once a year.
  • Guard your Social Security number. When possible, don’t carry your Social Security card with you. Don’t put your SSN or drivers license number on your checks.
  • Guard your personal information. You should never give your Social Security number to anyone unless they have a good reason for needing it. Watch for people who may try to eavesdrop and overhear the information you give out orally.
  • Carefully destroy papers you throw out, especially those with sensitive or identifying information.
  • Be suspicious of telephone solicitors. Never provide information unless you have initiated the call.
  • Use a locked mailbox to send and receive all mail.
  • Reduce the number of preapproved credit card offers you receive (they will ask for your SSN).

For further information on identity theft, we encourage you to visit the Department of Justice website:

Where can I buy pepper spray?
Usually in most sporting good department of most stores.  You may also check the Internet.

How do I set up a tour of the police department?  
You may call the police department at 815/748-8400 to request a police department tour. 

How do I schedule a police officer to speak to my organization?  
You can call the police department at 815/748-8400 to request an officer to speak to your group.  

What if someone calls asking for a donation on behalf of the police department?  
The DeKalb Police Department NEVER solicits money over the phone.  You may call the police department if you are contacted by an organization who is claiming to be representing the DeKalb Police Department at 815/748-8400.  

There are three primary ways you can to contribute to the DeKalb Police Department:

1.         Anti-Drug Fund
        Monies may be used for the purchase of program elements or helping organizations sponsor  
        an anti-drug events, such as Post Prom and D.A.R.E. 

2.         Volunteer Program
The Volunteers assist the police department in various tasks during at our busiest times.  Monies donated would assist in purchasing uniforms and equipment for the volunteers. 

3.         Equipment Purchases
Monies would assist in the purchasing of equipment such as in-car video cameras, radar guns, computer equipment, just to name a few.

Do you have a police auction?  
As of 2002, the police auction is coordinated by Youth Services Bureau (YSB).   Items recovered by the police department are donated to YSB for auction.  Typically, there are a large quantity of bicycles, along with other miscellaneous items such as CDs, backpacks, clothing, etc.  For further
Information regarding dates and locations of the auction, you may call YSB at 815/748-2010.

What can I do about loud parties/noises?
Loud parties/noises are best handled by calling the non-emergency number, 815/748-8400. The City of DeKalb requires that during day hours (7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.) any noise source should not exceed 60dBA. This would be measured from the property line of the complainant’s. During night hours (10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.) the noise source should not exceed 55dBA.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code:

CH52, 52.06 "Disorderly House,"

CH52, 52.07 "Sound Apparatus,"

CH52, 52.35 "Noise Control Regulation,"

CH52, 52.36 "Electronic Sound Systems." 

What are the responsibilities of the NIU Police Department versus the DeKalb Police Department when a call for service involves the college area?
The NIU Police Department responds to calls that occur on campus.  This includes all classrooms, dormitories, athletic/recreational facilities, and streets surrounding these facilities.  The DeKalb Police Department responds to calls that occur off campus, which involves the fraternities, sororities, off campus residences, and all other City streets.

You may contact the NIU Police Department at 815/753-1212 or the DeKalb Police Department at 815/748-8400 for assistance or questions of concern. 

What can I do about persons lighting fireworks?
Fireworks can often be mistaken for gunfire and often times it is reported to the police department as such. Most fireworks are illegal to possess and discharge within the City of DeKalb. Some of the illegal fireworks are: firecrackers, torpedoes, sky rockets, Roman candles, bombs, blank cartridges, toy cannons in which explosives are used, and balloons that require fire underneath to propel the balloon; or, other fireworks containing any explosive compounds.
Legal fireworks within the City of DeKalb are: snake or glow worm pellets, smoke devices, sparklers and trick noisemakers.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code CH52, 52.91 "Fireworks." 

How do I go about getting fingerprints for employment/background?
Please refer to our Fingerprints/Background page. 

How do I obtain a FOID card application?
Applications may be obtained from the Illinois State Police website.

Does the DeKalb Police Department accept credit cards?
This year the DeKalb Police Department has accepted credit cards for payment.  Those wishing to use this service may visit the website of or 888/604-7888.  If you choose to use the online service the PLC number is 8919.

Where is the Secretary of State office in DeKalb?
It is located at 1360 Oakwood Avenue (just north of Jewel).

What time can I start construction in the morning?  How about weekends?  Does this include lawn mowing?
This would fall under the City of DeKalb Municipal Code Noise Ordinance, Chapter 52.35.  You may start construction/lawn mowing at 0700 hours.  This includes weekends.

What are my options after receiving a traffic citation?

  1. Plead guilty and pay a $120 fine, unless the complaint is for speeding 21-30 miles per hour over the speed limit, then you must pay $140.  No seat belt fine is $60.
  2. Request court supervision. You may request court supervision via the mail by using the Clerk of the Circuit Court of DeKalb County form or by appearing before the judge on your assigned court date. Provisions of court supervision are:
    • You must attend a 4-hour driving school.
    • You have not been placed on court supervision within the last 12 months in any court for a traffic violation.
    • Pay a $185 non-refundable fine, unless charged with driving 21-30 miles over the posted limit you must pay an additional $20 for a total of $205 fine.
  3. Plead not guilty and request a hearing before a judge. Refer to your ticket for directions.

I received a traffic citation for "Failure to Carry Proof of Insurance" but I have insurance, what can I do?  
You may appear in person at the DeKalb County Courthouse Circuit Clerk and show your proof of insurance was valid at the time of the traffic stop. You will then be excused from further court appearances on this specific charge. You may do this 5 days after receiving your ticket and no later than 5 days prior to your assigned court date. Or, you must appear in court on your assigned court date. 

How can I contest a parking violation?  
You must speak to the officer who wrote you the parking ticket. The officer will decide if s/he will void or uphold the ticket. Should the officer uphold the ticket and you are still unsatisfied, you may request a court date. The officer and you will then appear before a Judge to hear testimonies and deliver judgment. 

How do I report an abandoned auto?  
An abandoned auto is considered "inoperable" and parked on a public or private property for at least 7 days. An "inoperable motor vehicle" is incapable of being driven under its own power. The vehicle must also have current registration and plates.

  • If the abandon auto is on a public street, you may call the DeKalb Police Department at 815/748-8400.
  • If the abandon auto is in a private lot, you may call the City of DeKalb Code Enforcement a 815/748-2070.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code CH12, 12.03 "Abatement of Nuisances."

How can I find out if my vehicle has been towed?

  • If you car was towed due to parking illegally, road hazard, abandon on a city street, or snow enforcement you may call the DeKalb Police Department at 815/748-8400. Please have your license number, make of car, owner’s name and where it was towed from ready. The Telecommunicator will then refer you to the towing company.
  • If you car was towed due to a hit and run or for evidentiary value, you must talk to the investigator handling that case.
  • If you car was towed due to being illegally parked in a private lot, you may call the DeKalb Police Department at 815/748-8400 to verify that it was in fact towed. Please have your license number, make of car, owner’s name and where it was towed from ready. You will then be referred to the proper towing company.

When can’t I park on ‘Snow Emergency’ route?  
A snow emergency is declared when there are 2" or more of snow that has fallen in one hour or more.  The Chief of Police will declare if the City is under a ‘snow emergency.’ He will then notify the media. Once a ‘snow emergency’ is declared, those vehicles parked on a snow route will be tickets and/or towed. The Chief of Police will also declare when the snow emergency is terminated.

For further information, refer to Municipal Code CH51, 51-19 "Traffic" or CH51-I-1 "Snow Emergency Routes."  

How do I report a traffic accident?

  • If you were involved in a traffic accident, first ensure that no one was injured. If someone is injured, call 911.
  • If no one was injured, you may either call the non-emergency number at 815/748-8400 to inform the Telecommunicator of the accident, who will then dispatch an officer to your location. Or, you may come to the DeKalb Police Department and report the accident.

Reporting requirements for a traffic accident are:

  • A person has been injured or dies.
  • A driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • A driver has fled the location without stopping to exchange information or check on the welfare of the other parties involved.
  • City property is involved.

You should report the accident as soon as possible.

Accidents having property damage of under $500 does not have to be reported to the police; however, your insurance company will require a report be made if you make a claim with them.

What if the other party in my traffic accident did not have insurance?  
Contact your insurance agent and inform them that the other parties did not have insurance at the time of the accident. Your insurance agent should assist you. 

How can I obtain a traffic accident report?  
You may request a copy of your traffic accident in person at the DeKalb Police Department Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or by mail at DeKalb Police Department, 700 W. Lincoln Hghway, DeKalb, IL 60115. There is a $5 charge for accident reports. Payment is due prior to filling your request.

How do I report a reckless driver?  
If you want to report a reckless driver that is in progress – call 911. Try to obtain the vehicle description, registration information, and any information about the driver.

If the careless driving is NOT in progress, call the non-emergency number at 815/748-8400 or appear in person at the police department. Again, obtain as much information about the vehicle and driver as you possibly can.

How do I know what size car seat my child should use?
You may contact our Child Safety Seat technicians at the DeKalb Police Department to assist you with installation or knowing what size car seat your child needs.  Or, you may link to the NHTSA Child Passenger Safety website here for detailed information.

Where do you tow cars to?
The DeKalb Police Department currently uses Lovett's Towing located at 1837 E. Lincoln Hwy., Phone: 815/756-2681.

Can I tow a car in the City just using a chain?
It is legal; however, please refer to the Illinois Vehicle Code CH 625 5/15-110 to familiarize yourself on how to tow the vehicle legally.

I just bought a car and it does not have plates on it.  Is it OK to drive it home?
You will need to show the bill of sale to the police officer.

My car's license plate expires at the end of the month is there a grace period in renewing my registration?

How can I get the moving radar trailer parked in front of my house?
Just call the DeKalb Police Department Patrol Lieutenant at 815/748-8400.